Friday, August 26, 2011

Kingsbarns: A biiiirdy-full day on the links

(From Tuesday, left - this is the only place in the world I don't mind calling them the ladies tees). Kingsbarns course, which is located about 5 miles south of St. Andrews is ranked #54 in the world for best golf courses. We couldn’t resist giving it a go, and have zero regrets about doing so. Today the sun was shining again and the winds were fairly calm (very calm for Scotland at least), but this time the golf story doesn’t get messy… well, just it did in a few parts I will admit.

To get a good picture o fthe beauty of Kingbarns, just take a look at the homepage of its website: www.kingsbarns.com. I was a bit worried about the course because from the front tees it’s only 5200 yards so I thought that might take away from it feeling like a true Scottish links course, but I was dead wrong. On the second hole, my caddie advised me to hit my approach shot at the par 5 about 40 yards left of the pin. On my own there’s no way I would have ever aimed that far left, but I trusted him and made the shot after which we both watched the ball roll up and around a swail on the green, stopping only about 10 feet short of the hole for my birdie putt. I knew from that point on two things – first, I had a great caddie. Second, it was was going to be a fun day.

Links golf is special to me because of all of the fun and interesting shots you can make. Over the course of the round today, I had several putts from way off the green (one unfortunately I putt clear across the green and into a bunker), punched shots along the ground and used the contours of greens to land approach shots in places I never would have though of on my own. I was also enterained by stories from my caddie about the course, about some of the famous people he had caddied before, and even a story about a golf club ending up in the ocean. (For his protecton I’ll keep that one private!) Maybe the best part of the day though was seeing Scott smiling as he walked up the fairways toward birdie putt after birdie putt. Hence - a biiiiirdie-ful day! Would have been nice if I was hitting my own birdie putts, but hey, I'll take my 91 and run.

(Below - the signature 12th hole at Kingsbarns called, "Ordeal")


No comments:

Post a Comment